Surface Preparation for Osmo Decking Oil Application
Before you embark on enhancing your outdoor space with Osmo Decking Oil, proper surface preparation is essential to ensure the best results. Follow these guidelines for a successful application:
Weathering and Cleaning:
- Bare wood species with high natural wood extractives should weather for a minimum of 4 weeks before initial treatment. Alternatively, clean them with Osmo Brush Cleaner and Thinner (degreaser).
- Resinous wood like Larch or Douglas Fir should weather for at least 6 weeks to improve absorbency.
- Pressure impregnated wood and tropical species such as Massaranduba, Bangkirai, Garapa, Iroko need to weather off for at least 3 months.
- Cedar requires a 3-month weathering period to enhance absorbency.
Reviving Greyed Wood:
- Revive greyed and weathered wood using Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel before applying Osmo Decking Oil.
- Avoid using jet or power washers as they can impact the coverage of Osmo Decking Oil.
- Ensure the wood surface is clean, dry, and frost-free (moisture content not exceeding 20%).
- Stir Osmo Decking Oil well using a flat stirring stick or spatula before use. Do not thin.
Preparation for Old Finishes:
- Thoroughly clean or lightly sand old microporous stains.
- Remove old varnishes entirely before application.
- After sanding, some fresh wood species may need to undergo weathering as directed above to improve absorbency.
- Sanding should be done with finishing grades up to a P120 grit. Always wear a dust mask during sanding.
- If feasible, apply the first coat to all sides of the wood before installation for optimal protection.
- Note that the final appearance depends on factors including wood condition, making a trial application necessary, especially on unfamiliar surfaces.
- For extra protection against blue stain, rot, and insect attack (particularly for softwoods), consider pre-treating wood with Osmo WR Impregnation.
Method of Application:
- Utilize a stiff brush (such as Osmo Flat Brush) or a lint-free cloth (for furniture) to apply Osmo Decking Oil thinly and evenly along the wood grain on a clean, dry surface.
- For a convenient and efficient application process, the Osmo Decking Brush (150 mm) is recommended, designed specifically for decking and allowing application while standing.
- Ensure good ventilation during drying. Drying might be prolonged in colder temperatures and higher humidity levels.
- Once the first coat is dry, apply the second coat, also thinly, for optimal protection and appearance.
Enhance your deck’s beauty and longevity with Osmo Decking Oil. Follow these surface preparation and application guidelines for outstanding results that stand the test of time.